Education and Training
- Earned an undergraduate degree in psychology (with emphasis on developmental and pediatric psychology).
- She pursued doctoral studies in clinical science (clinical psychology) at top-ranked Indiana University where she specialized in pediatric psychology.
- She earned a MPH degree in community health in route to her PhD in Health Behavior Indiana University.
Minority Health Issues and Health Disparities
Parental Influences on Child Health Behaviors & Outcomes
Socioecological Factors of Health Behaviors
Publications (journal articles, books, book chapters)*
- Fleary, S., Heffer, RW., and McKyer, ELJ (2013). Understanding OTC and Prescription Drug Abuse in Late Adolescence/Young Adulthood. Journal of Addiction, Volume 34, Issue 4, August 2011, Pages 653--663
- Wendel, ML, Alaniz, A., Kelly, BN., Clark, HR., Drake, KN., Outley, CW., Garney, W., Dean, K., Simpson, L., Allen, B., Finke, P., Harris, T., Jackson, V., Player, D., Ramirez, A., Sutherland, M., Viator, C., McKyer, ELJ., St.John, JA., McLeroy, KR., and Burdine, JN (2012). Capacity Building in Rural Communityies. In Crosby, RA., Wendel, WL., Vanderpool, RC., and Casey, BR (Eds) Rural Populations and Health: Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA
- Smith, ML., Dickerson, J.B., Sosa, ET., McKyer, ELJ., and Ory, M.G. (2012). College Students' Perceived Disease Risk versus Actual Prevalence Rates. American Journal of Health Behavior, 36(1), 96-106 *
- Ettienne-Gittens, R., McKyer, ELJ., Goodson, P. and Guidry, J. (2012). Evaluating the health education curriculum: Where's the Nutrition? Journal of Health Behavior and Public Health, 2 (3), 27-30
- McKyer, ELJ (2012). Health Disparities Among School-Aged Youth. In Wiley,DC & Cory, AC (Eds). Encyclopedia of School Health. Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, Ca.
- Warne, R., Li, Y., McKyer, ELJ., Condie, R., Diep, CS., and Murano, PS. (2012). Managing clustered data using hierarchical linear modeling. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 44, 271-277
- McKyer, ELJ., Outley, CW., Blake, JJ., and Kelly, BN. (2012). Promoting Adolescent Health in Rural Communities. In Crosby, RA., Wendel, WL., Vanderpool, RC., and Casey, BR (Eds) Rural Populations and Health: Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA
- Ettienne-Gittens, R., McKyer, E.L.J., Goodson, P., Guidry, F., Outley, C. (2012). What about health educators? Nutrition education for Allied Health Professionals: A review of the literature. American Journal of Health Education, 43 (5), 288-309
- Delissaint, D. and McKyer, ELJ (2011). A Systematic Review of Factors Utilized in Preconception Health Behavior Research. Health Education and Behavior, 38(6), 603-616
- Smith, M. L., Sosa, E. T., Hochhalter, A. K., Covin, J., Ory, M. G., & McKyer, ELJ. (2011). Correlates of family health history discussions between college students and physicians: Does family cancer history make a difference? Journal of Primary Prevention, 32(5-6) 311-322