Education and Training
- B.A. in English, Xiamen University, China
- M.A.A. in Medical Anthropology, University of Maryland, College Park
- Ph.D. in Health Behavior and Society, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- HPCH 689: mHealth: mobile technologies for public health (offered every fall)
- HPCH 612: Public Health intervention (offered every spring)
- HPCH 636: Study abroad in China (offered every other summer)
- Directed research credit courses available upon request.
A. mHealth/eHealth behavior and policy:
- Application and scale-up of low-cost mHealth tools in behavioral intervention
- Relationship of digital divide and health disparities, “meaningful use” of HealthIT
- Health communication in the era of mobile technology and new social media
B. Behavioral intervention of HIV/STI, gender-based violence, medication adherence.
C. Culturally appropriate measurement of psychosocial and health outcomes.
Dr. Hong has published 70 peer-reviewed journal articles. A complete list of her publications can be found:
Select recent publications:
A. eHealth/mHealth behavior and policy (cancer survivors, older adults, international patients)
- Hong YA. J Cho Trends of health related Internet use among older adults: Results from a national representative survey. Journal of Gerontology B. Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2016 Aug 24. pii: gbw100. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dahlke DV, Fair K, Hong YA, Kellstedt D, Ory MG. Evaluation of ACCESS AYA: Programming for after cancer care ends, survivorship starts for adolescents and young adults. JMIR Cancer, in press.
- Hong YA. Medical tourism and telemedicine: A new frontier for an old business. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2016;18(5):e115
- Hong YA, Goldberg D. Ory MG, Towne S, Forjuoh S, Wang S. Efficacy of a mobile-enabled web app (iCanFit) in promoting physical activity among older cancer survivors: A pilot study. JMIR Cancer 2015 (Jun 26); 1(1):e7
- Dahlke DV, Fair KN, Hong Y, Beaudoin C, Pulczinski JC, Ory MG, Witterman H. App seeking theories: use of health behavior change theories in cancer survivor mobile applications. JMIR mHealth uHealth 2015 (Mar 27); 3(1):e31
- Hong Y, Goldberg D, Dahlke DV, Ory MG, Cargill JS, Coughlin R, Hernadez E, Kellstedt D, Peres SC. Testing usability and acceptability of a web application (iCanFit) to promote physical activity among older adults. JMIR Human Factors 2014;1(1):e2.
- Forjuoh SN, Ory M, Wang S, Bordes D, Hong Y*. Using iPod touch to enhance patient- physician interaction to increase physical activity and healthy eating. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2014;2(1):e14.
- Hong Y, Dahlke, DV, Ory MG, Hochhalter A, Reynolds J, Purcell NC, Talwar D, Eugene N. Designing iCanFit®--A mobile-enabled web application to promote physical activity for older cancer survivors. JMIR Res Protoc 2013;2(1):e12.
- Appiah B, Hong Y*, Ory MG, Helduser JW, Begaye D, Bolin JN, Forjuoh SN. Challenges and opportunities for implementing diabetes self-management guidelines. Journal of American Board of Family Medicine, 2013; 26 (1): 90-92.
- Forjuoh SN, Lee C, Wang S, Hong Y, Ory MG. Family physicians’ perceptions on environmental influences in promoting physical activity in their obese patients. Open J Prev Med., 2012; 2(4), 27-33.
- Hong Y, Ory ME, Lee C, Wang S, Forjuoh SN. Neighborhood environment and physical activity: perspectives from family physicians. Family Medicine, 2012; 44(5): 336-41.
- Hong Y, Purcell NC. Ory MG. Outcomes of online support and resources for cancer survivors: a systematic literature review. Patient Education & Counseling, 2012; 86 (3): 288-96.
- Forjuoh SN, Lee C, Wang S, Hong Y, Ory MG. Patient-physician discussion of physical activity and environmental barriers. Preventive Medicine, 2011, 53(3):209-10.
- Hong Y, Li X, Fang X, Lin X, Zhang C. Internet use among female sex workers in China: implications for HIV/STI prevention. AIDS and Behavior. 2011;15(2):273-82.
B. HIV/STI testing and prevention, gender-based violence, medication adherence (drug users, migrants, sex workers)
- Zhou Q, Wu Y, Hong YA, Yang C, Cai W, Zhu Y, Guo Z, Guo Y. Association between perceived social norm and condom use among people living with HIV/AIDS in Guangzhou China, AIDS Care, 2016 Jun 21:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hong YA, Videla NP, Chavez M, Murga A. HIV/STI risks in Latino day laborers in central Texas: A mixed-method study. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine. 2015 (3): 1.
- Zhang C, Li X, Su S, Hong Y, Zhou Y, Zhen T, Shen Z. Violence against Chinese female sex workers from their stable partners: A hierarchical multiple regression analysis. Healthcare for Women International, 2015; 36(7):797-815.
- Hong Y, Zhang C, Li X, Zhou Y, Guo W Li L. “Misses and mommies”: Relationship of female sex workers and their gatekeepers and its implications for HIV/STI prevention. Qualitative Health Research, 2014; 24(10):1431-9.
- Chen W, Hong Y, Zou X, McLaughlin MM, Xia Y, Ling L. Effectiveness of prize-based contingency management in a methadone maintenance program in China. Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 2013, 133 (1), 270-4.
- Chen W, Xia Y, Hong Y, Hall BJ, Ling L. Predictors of continued HIV-risk behaviors among drug users in methadone maintenance therapy program in China—a prospective study. Harm Reduction J. 2013 Oct 10;10:23.
- Hong Y, Zhang C, Li X, Zhou Y Wei W. Partner violence and psychosocial distress among female sex workers in China. PLoS ONE, 2013, 8(4): e62290.
- Zhang C, Li X, Hong Y, Chen Y, Liu W, Zhou Y. Partner violence and HIV risk among female sex workers in China. AIDS and Behavior. 2012; 16(4):1020-30
- Hong Y, Zhang C, Li X, Fang X, Lin X, Zhou Y, Liu W. HIV testing behaviors among female sex workers in Southwest China. AIDS and Behavior, 2012; 16(1):44-52.
- Hong Y, Li X, Fang X, Zhou Y, Zhao R. Factors associated with STI underreporting in a community sample of female sex workers in China. Journal of Women’s Health (Larchmt). 2011; 20(1):129-36.
- Hong Y, Poon A. Zhang C. Behavioral intervention to reduce HIV/STI risks among female sex workers in China, a systematic review. AIDS Care, 2011; 23(6): 54-65.
C. Psychosocial and health outcome measures (older adults, orphans, vulnerable children and women)
- Mao F. Han Y, Chen J, Chen W, Yuan M, Hong YA*, Fang Y. Development of a multidimensional functional health scale for older adults in China. Community Mental Health Journal, 2016 May;52(4):466-71.
- Chen W, Fang Y, Mao F, Hao S, Chen J, Yuan M, Han Y, Hong YA. Assessment of disability among the elderly in Xiamen of Chia: A representative sample survey of 14,922 older adults. PlOS One, 2015, June.
- Hong Y, Chi P, Li X, Zhao J, Zhao G. Stanton B, Li L. Community-based group homes for AIDS orphans in rural China: An ethnographic investigation. Health Policy and Planning. 2015; 30(7):928-37.
- Zhang C., Hong Y, Li X , Zhou Y , Liu W, Shan Q, Su S. Psychological stressors in the context of commercial sex among female sex workers in China. Healthcare for Women International, 2015;36(7):753-67.
- Hong Y, Zhang C, Li X, Lin D, Liu Y. HPV and cervical cancer related knowledge, awareness and testing behaviors in a community sample of female sex workers in China. BMC Public Health 2013, 13:696.
- Hong Y, Huang X, Ling H. Liao H. HIV prevalence and trend among voluntary blood donors after implementation of the Blood Donation Law in China: A meta-analysis and systematic literature review. Tropical Medicine and International Health. 2012; 17 (8), 978–988.
- Hong Y, Li X, Fang X, Zhao G, Zhao J, Zhao Q, Lin X, Zhang L, Stanton B. Care arrangement of AIDS orphans and its relationship with children’s psychosocial well- being: evidence from rural China. Health Policy and Planning. 2011; 26(2):115-23.
- Zhang C, Hong Y*, Liu X. Evaluation of a school-based intervention to reduce traffic- related injuries among adolescents in Beijing. World Health Population. 2010; 12(2):34- 2.
- Zhao J, Li X, Fang X, Hong Y, Zhao G, Lin X, Zhang L, Stanton B. Stigma against children affected by AIDS (SACAA): Psychometric evaluation of a brief measurement scale. AIDS and Behavior. 2010;14 (6):1302-12.
- Hong Y, Li X, Fang X, Zhao G, Lin X, Zhang J, Zhao J, Zhang L. Perceived social support and psychosocial wellbeing among children affected by AIDS in China. Community Mental Health Journal, 2009, 46 (1):33-43.
- Hong Y, Li X, Stanton B, Fang X, Lin D, Wang J, Mao R, Yang H. Expressions of HIV- related stigma among rural-to-urban migrants in China. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 2008, 22(10): 823-831.