Walter D. Wilkerson, Jr., M.D.
1516 N. San Jacinto St.
Conroe, TX 77301-1944
After graduating from high school in Bryan and receiving a B.S. degree in Biology from Texas A&M in 1951, Dr. Wilkerson was awarded his M.D. degree from The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas in 1955. Upon completion of a rotating internship at the Veterans Administration Hospital and Jefferson David Hospital in Houston, he served two years as a general medical officer in the U.S. Navy. He was stationed at Mairamar Naval Air Station in San Diego, and aboard the USS Hooper Island that participated in an atomic weapons testing operation at Eniwetok Atoll in the southwest Pacific Ocean during the summer of 1958.
From 1958 to 1996, he practiced family medicine at the Sadler Clinic, a multi-specialty group in Conroe. During those years he served as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Family Practice with the Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. Sharing his experience and knowledge with medical students was a highlight of his medical career. He served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Doctors Hospital and the Conroe Regional Medical Center from 1984-1996. Throughout his years of practice, Dr. Wilkerson was active in the Texas Medical Association and the Texas Academy of Family Physicians. The Academy named him the Texas Family Physician of the Year in 1991 and honored him with the Sam A. Nixon, M.D. Leadership Award in 1998.
Dr. Wilkerson has chaired the Montgomery County Republican Party since 1964 and served on the State Republican Executive Committee form 1965-1978. He served as a delegate to the 1968 and 1972 Republican National Conventions. He is active in the Associated Republicans of Texas as Chairman of the Candidates Committee and recently received their Lifetime Achievement Hats Off Award for his work.
In 1989, Governor William P. Clements appointed Dr. Wilkerson to a six-year term as a member of the Board of Directors of the San Jacinto River Authority, and in 1995 Governor George W. Bush appointed him to a six-year term as Chairman of the Texas Board of Health.