SPH Computer Requirements
Although the School of Public Health maintains computer labs at selected sites for graduate student's use, these facilities are not the primary computing resource. Each student entering SPH is expected to have a computer of their own (Desktop, Laptop, or Tablet) that meets the minimum SPH computer requirements. (This applies to all students.)
The reason for this requirement is that a computer has been deemed to be critical to a graduate student's success. Those who do not have 24x7 access to the Internet and a computer are at a great disadvantage. The Medical Sciences Library (MSL) has laptops, iPads, and a digital camcorder available for loan.
Minimum Computer Requirements
- Screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher
- You will also need the following software installed on your computer:
- The latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari web browsers and QuickTime
- Java and Flash Player must stay up-to-date with the latest version
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher, Macintosh OSX or Linux
- In addition, you will need an Internet connection with sufficient bandwidth (DSL, Cable modem or faster)
You can test your downstream bandwidth at SpeakEasy.net. Once there, choose Dallas, TX. This will initiate a speed test. Once complete, your downstream bandwidth is displayed. For Virtual Classrooms (Blackboard, Adobe Connect, etc.) - you will need a headset (preferably with a microphone) or earbuds and a webcam. For Tablet access of Adobe Connect, the Adobe Connect Mobile App must be downloaded from the devices app store
Do not register for an online class if your computer and/or network cannot meet these minimum requirements.