The Texas A&M University HSC has an agreement to utilize the TAMUS Sponsored Research Services as the administrative organization for all Texas A&M HSC research grants and contracts.
Indirect Cost Distribution Policy
This agreement provides for the return of all indirect costs generated less an administrative fee applied to direct cost expenditures. Half of the indirect costs returned to the Texas A&M HSC will be in the form of State funds, and the other half will be designated funds.
The Texas A&M HSC administration has established the policy of distributing 75% of funds received from SRS to the school, college, or institute that generated the indirect costs. The remaining 25% will reside in the Office of the Vice President for Research and will be allocated to support research activities in Texas A&M HSC.
The transfer of the 75% of the returned indirect costs to each component will occur two ways. Half of each component’s quarterly distribution will be returned in the months of March, June, September and December. These quarterly transfers will be in the form of designated funds. These funds are less restrictive than state funds and can be used for food and drinks. The remaining 50% of the allocations, the state funds, will be distributed annually.
Expenditures of Salary Savings Funds
SPH will provide each tenure-track faculty member with at least twenty percent of his/her salary savings as they are accrued throughout the year. These funds will be maintained in individual accounts, administered by the Office of Business Affairs. No charges against these accounts may be made without authorization from the faculty member. All purchase orders or requests for reimbursement, including purchases made with salary savings funds, must be accompanied by the specific account number and approval of the department head for expenditures equal to or great than $2000. In unusual circumstances, exceptions to this policy may be authorized by the Dean in consultation with the relevant department head, the specific faculty member, and the Office of Business Affairs Funds may be used at the discretion of the faculty member for professionally-related expenses if they meet requirements for both state expenditures and SPH policy and the conditions below are met:
Faculty must make a written (or email) request to expend a certain amount of funds for an explicitly identified service or purchase and the Office of Business Affairs must (a) approve the expenditure as consistent with state-expenditure policy as well as SPH policy, and (b) determine that sufficient funds are present in the faculty members salary savings account to make the purchase. The Office of Business Affairs may make alternative suggestions where efficiency or costs are concerned, but the faculty member makes the final purchase decision if conditions “a” and “b” are met.
The Office of Business Affairs must make a written (or email) request of a faculty member to expend some of their salary savings money for some specific purchase and the faculty member must agree in writing (or email) to the expenditure of her or his salary savings funds.
At the end of each fiscal year, depending upon the overall fiscal health of the School, up to an additional twenty percent (for a maximum of 40% over a single fiscal year) of tenure track faculty members’ salary savings will be returned. The long- term goal is to routinely return forty percent of salary savings to faculty for use in professionally related activities. The remaining salary dollars will be used by the Dean’s Office for school-wide and departmental expenses.
Appropriate uses of salary savings include the following:
Faculty: Graduate students, equipment, supplies, travel, publications, additional office furniture, professional memberships
Department: Graduate students, supplies, travel, equipment, and development and operations
Dean: Discretionary spending for School, departments, and faculty
The above list is not all inclusive; all expenses must meet Texas A&M HSC and TAMUS guidelines for state dollars. You can find a full list of rules on the HSC Guidelines page.