Virender K. Sharma, Ph.D.
Environmental and Occupational Health
212 Adriance Lab Rd.
- Chemistry and applications of ferrates (VI, V, and IV) (inactivation of virus, bacteria, and toxins in water and air and removal of emerging contaminants such as antibiotics, estrogens and toxic metals in water)
- Formation, fate, and toxicity of silver and gold engineered and natural nanoparticles in aquatic environment
- Applications of ferrites to destroy toxins and pollutants under solar light
Education and Training
RSMAS, University of Miami, 1989
Ph.D., Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry
Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India, 1984
University of Delhi, India, 1982
University of Delhi, India, 1980
- Sharma, V.K., Zboril, R., McDonald, T.J. (2014). Formation and Toxicity of Brominated Disinfection Byproducts during Chlorination and Chloramination of Water: A Review. Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B. 49(3): 212-228.
- Tölgyesi, Á., Sharma, V.K. Fekete, J. (2014). Analysis of Stanozolol Metabolites in Bovine, Pig and Sheep Urines Using an Optimized Clean- Up and Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 88: 45-52.
- Sharma, V.K., Siskova, K., Zboril, R. (2014). Organic-Coated Silver Nanoparticles in Biological and Environmental Conditions: Fate, Stability, and Toxicity. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. 204: 15-34.
- Sharma, V.K., Zhao, J., Hidaka, H. (2014). Mechanism of Photocatalytic Oxidation of Amino Acids: Hammett Correlations. Catalysis Today. 10.1016/j.cattod.2013.12.045.
- Sharma, V.K. (2013). Reactive Intermediates in Oxidation of Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New Jersey.
- Prucek, R., Tucek, J., Kolařík, J., Filip, J., Marušák, Z., Sharma, V.K., Zboril, R. (2013). Ferrate(VI)-Induced Arsenite and Arsenate Removal by in-situ Structural Incorporation into Magnetic Iron(III) Oxide Nanoparticles. Environmental Science & Technology. 47: 3283-3292 (2013).
- V.K. Sharma. (2013). Ferrate(VI) and Ferrate(V) Oxidation of Organic Compounds: Kinetics and Mechanisms. Coordination Chemistry Review 257: 494-510.
- Adegboyeg, N., Sharma, V.K., Siskova, K., Zboril, R., Sohn, M., Schultz, B., Banerjee, S. (2013). Interaction of Ag+ with Fulvic Acid: Mechanism of Silver Nanoparticle Formation and Investigation of Stability. Environmental Science & Technology. 47: 757-764.
- Sharma, V.K., Liu, F., Tolan, S., Sohn, M., Kim, H., Oturan, M.A. (2013). Oxidation of β-Lactum by Ferrate(VI). Chemical Engineering Journal. 221: 446-451.
- Anquandah, G., Sharma, V.K., Panditi, V.R., Gardinali, P.R., Kim, H., Oturan, M.A. (2013). Ferrate(VI) Oxidation of Propranolol: Kinetics and products. Chemosphere. 91: 105-109.
- Tölgyesi, Á., Sharma, V.K., Fekete, S., Fekete, J., Lukonics, D. (2012). A Confirmatory Method for the Determination of Corticosteroids in Bovine Tissue using a pH Optimized Sample Preparation and Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B. 906: 75-84.
- Sharma, V.K., Sohn, M. (2012). Reactivity of Chlorine Dioxide with Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins. Environmental Chemistry Letter. 10(3): 255-264.
- Sharma. V.K. (2012). Kinetics and Mechanism of Formation and Destruction of N-Nitrosodimethylamine in Water – A Review. Separation and Purification Technology. 88: 1-10.
- Sharma, V.K., Sohn, M., Anquandah, G.A.K., Nesnas, N. (2012). Kinetics of the Oxidation of Sucralose and its Derivatives by Ferrate(VI). Chemopshere., 87: 644-648.
Last edited by: savannah.williamson